Sunday 22 July 2007

#888 - Hide away with a bottle in Gordon's




Timeout Said:

Gordon's offers a wine bar by candlelight, with small hideaways in a cellar-like environment, casting back to the days of the 1940's where naughty Londoners get frisky, away from the torch of the local ARP!



Dave did:

Saturday 21st July, the BBC is reporting on a monsoon season in London, and I'm trying to clear up a water feature that felt it needed to place itself in the middle of my living room...what better time to get stuck into Timeout's 1000 Things!

An old Uni friend Rolf was down for a visit, and having looked through my trusty guide we agreed a trip to the Hunterian Museum was in order (#188). However, as 3pm ticks by we can both be found sprawled out on a couch each preferring to watch a repeat of Still Game on the TV...so much for my amazing start!

But soon we find ourselves leaving the flat. Despite my attempts to do otherwise, we are off to meet another two Uni friends who are in the centre of town at some wine bar. I didn't want to go somewhere that wasn't on my list, especially when there were so many other pubs/wine bars listed in my 1000 things that we could go to instead and make it 'worth my while'.

On the tube I bring out my guide book and flick through the index...low and behold the wine bar we're heading to is #888!! At last I can see my To-Do list reducing in size!

We make it to the bar and find it heaving with people. It is indeed a very dark and dingey place, but it was also incredibly stuffy, and in the middle of summer thats the last place you want to hang around. So we make the wise decision to take a table outside the bar next to a public garden. I then head in to grab a bottle of the cheapest Rose, with 2 supporting glasses, and not before too long we're sitting at our table enjoying a Ramada Rose (Shiraz) from Portugal...I did warn you I'm not a connisseur!





...it seems I'm not a weatherman either! 10 minutes into our bottle of Rose, the heavens opened and very quickly we found ourselves sitting in a pond with more water leaking through our summer umbrella!



We braved the elements and continued with our wine whilst reliving stories from St. Andrews (our University!).

Before leaving I jumped into the bar and took a quick shot to prove I had ticked off #888!



For future reference, this is Rolf my campanion for #888...you've been warned!





1 down...999 to go!

No comments: