Sunday 29 July 2007

#829 - Climb the Monument




Timeout Said:
When London was being rebuilt after the Great Fire of London, Charles II decided to leave a monument dedicated to the event. Sir Christopher Wren was assigned this task and his work has resulted in crowds clambering up 311 steps in order to get a view off the London skyline


Dave did:
MOnument is a structure I am very familiar with, even if I have never once given thought of climbing the thing! I worked in an office one block away for a good 12 months, and had to walk past it on the way to work for 6 of them, but I always found it a strange thing given its mamoth size and the fact that the building around it make it very hard to spot from anywhere more than a block away!

I remember when starting my job in London we were sent on a treasure hunt, and one of our team had to go out and climb Monument to come back with a certificate to show they had done it. I was keen to get involved but unfortunately I wasn't sure where it was at the time and so another two girls went off and achieved the feat themselves. I later got on a tube myself to go and check it out...but for the reason explained above I never found the damn thing when getting out of the Monument tube station, and returned home with a picture of Tower Bridge instead!

Anyway...I did it this time, and could I just say 311 steps is a very very VERY tough workout! If its a lactic acid exercise in your knees you want, then this is the place for it! However, the views at the top were pretty special and the certificate I received at the bottom definitely made the experience worthwhile!


Did you know...the Monument is 201 feet high which equals the exact distance from the spot that the Bakery responsible for the Great Fire of London lies (or laid).








9 down...991 Things to go!

No comments: