Sunday 29 July 2007

#100 - Comb the shore for historical loot

Timeout said:

It's primal, gut-level fun - and there's the potential for economic reward! On the shores of the Thames, fragments of the city's great sprawl of history are churned up day after day, and they're yours to make of exactly what you will.


Dave did:

As I was walking along the Southbank, I noticed some people below me walking along the beach that had appeared beside the Thames. I cant recall ever seeing this before, but the tide had gone out enough that a suitable beachfront had made itself known right between Millennium and Blackfriars bridges.

A lightbulb moment suddenly came to me, and I remember Thing #100 and how I needed to go on a treasure hunt on the shores of the Thames!

I quickly found a stairway down to the beach and started my hunt!

So here was my hunting ground...



...and granted my initial forages did not bring much luck with them...

...an interesting fragment of rock (obviously dated from the times of Yore!)...



...a length of rope which I believe was severed from the very ship Captain Cook sailed off on...



...but fear not, for I found gold! Yes GOLD! On the newfound Southbank beach!




This gold medallion clearly came from the infamous booty of 'Starbucks', dating back to the early turn of the century, and it now takes pride of place on my mantlepiece awaiting the next time the Antiques Roadshow hits Tottenham South!


15 down...985 Things to go!

No comments: