Sunday 29 July 2007

#1 - Take in the View from Tower Bridge



Timeout Said:
For the best Thames panaorama, Tower Bridge cant be beaten!


Dave Did:

Again, another popular tourist location in London that I've lived minutes away from in the past yet never given the time of day to fully explore it or appreciate its existence!

Tower Bridge...probably the one bridge that is constantly confused with London Bridge (hey even the Americans got it wrong!). As should probably have been expected the Tower Bridge exhibition very much catered for the London Tourist, and so in a way it put me off a bit as I am more one of those people who prefers to find their own way around a site, and to take in things at my own pace. Instead I handed over my money, got thrust in front of a camera (why? I wasn't sure at the time), and then taken in a lift up 42 meters above the Thames to the Tower Bridge Walkway. There I was given a short video presentation which to be fair was quite interesting. Most interesting of all at this point however, were the designs submitted alongside what we see today as Tower Bridge that were ultimately dismissed. My favourite is this one...can you imagine what it would have been like today:





After the video presentation I was finally let loose on the walkway between the two Towers. Again I have to be a scrooge and say it wasn't quite what I had hoped for, with exhibition signs all over the place and several small windows made available for those wanting to catch a glimpse of the Thames view. I tried to take a few shots which you can see below, but getting a proper shot through all the girders, windows etc. did prove troublesome!







I found one of the exhibition displays interesting, as it reported on how planes used to fly in between the Towers...with the Red Bull Air race being held further down the river, it wasn't difficult to imagine it happening again today!



The visit finished with a quick look around the engine room, which not being an engineer by profession I couldn't relate to as much...



11 down...989 Things to go!

No comments: