Sunday 5 August 2007

#94 - Rediscover your knitting needles



Timeout said:

Knitting is fashionable again, which means it's never been easier to make this pastime a social event.

Dave did:

We've checked into the Innocent Village Fete, and just picked up our little guidebooks explaining what is where and when certain shows are going to start etc. and the first thing I find inside this book of wonders is a page titled 'The Big Knit':

The Innocent Village Fete Said:
It's time for us to start politely asking you if you wouldn't mind knitting a few little woolly hats for our smoothie bottles...Stay strong, keep knitting.

After reading that, how can I refuse such a golden opportunity to make a woolly hat AND tick off Thing #94, all whilst still in the middle of ticking off Thing #320!!

So eventually I persuade my friends to follow me over to the Big Knit tent, and I pick up my knitting kit (2 red needles, a sky blue ball of wool, and a cream white ball of wool...who would have known it was that simple??). We are then directed to another knitting tent further down the park where I'm promised someone can help teach me how to start knitting.

Having made my way over to this new tent full of women of various ages (I'm very relieved to see the girls in their 20's are in equal number to the ladies in their 50's!), and march straight up to the main table.

Dave: "I need someone to help me learn to knit please"

Helpful Knitting Lady: "Oh ok, have you ever knitted before?"

Dave: "Well, not since I was about 7 years old when I got a knitting kit from an supermarket Santa Claus"

Helpful Knitting Lady (looking slightly bemused): "Ok, well there are a few girls around helping everyone out, so if you grab one of them they'll show you what to do."


Now I'll freely admit that by this stage I was beginning to get a little sheepish, and just wanted to get this over and done...dare I say I felt a little out of my depth! I went over and found a bale of hay to sit down on (hey, you gotta get your priorities right!) and then gloomily looked around with a rather pathetic look of innocence on my face, hoping someone would come over and help me hold two red needles.

Well the Helpful Knitting Lady seemed to pick up on this act, and so came over a few minutes later with a beginners guide to knitting booklet, and sat herself down beside me.

After about 10 minutes we were off and running, and I had managed to get through my first few rows (and only dropping a couple of stitches!)



I actually found the whole knitting experience pretty therapeutic, and after about 30 minutes I decided to pack up my knitting needles and look to continue it on a rainy day...


...when I got home around 11pm I found myself sitting down watching the F1 Qualifying with my knitting needles out...oh dear!


22 down...978 Things to go!

No comments: