Thursday 24 January 2008

#740 - Skateboard: South Bank


Timeout says:
London's many skaters are blessed with an increasing number of designated skateparks in which to practice their tricks. The gradditied stretch of the South Bank beneath the Royal Festival Hall remains the beating heart of the London skate scene.

Dave did:
I had a skateboard as a kid, but I never really got what it was all about...you stand on a board with wheels and you keep pushing yourself along with one foot. Maybe the problem was me viewing it as a mode of transport like a bike, cause I found it very inefficient and resulted in a very very dead leg! Only the Back to the Future movies kept my interest up in them, but even then I remember sticking on my walkman with the BTTF Soundtrack, lining myself up at the top of my driveway and skated down onto the road...only for a family friend to drive up behind me and beep the horn to make a point that I shouldn't be listening to music whilst skateboarding...and there finished that dream (although I will always be the first in line for a hoverboard!)

So getting back to this Thing. I'm no longer an owner of a skateboard, and my astute upbringing probably means showing up with a board won't exactly help me to blend in anymore than showing up in a hoodie would!

I therefore decided to sit back and just enjoy the scene as other kids tried, tried and tried again to complete their tricks...I promise to play an hour of Tony Hawk when I get home to make up for my obvious loss...

96 down...104 Things to go!

No comments: