Sunday 13 January 2008

#167 - Get on Location: Sliding Doors


Timeout says:
London's transport system has played some significant film roles. The biggest is as the lucky/unlucky tube train of Sliding Doors Gwyneth Paltrow exits and enters Embankment station, even though the fateful doors belong to a bright and shiny Waterloo & City train at Waterloo station rather than a dull, workaday carriage on the District Line

Dave did:
I have to say I'm a fan of Sliding Doors. I haven't watched it for a while (and I did just recently buy it in a charity shop on VHS...just need to hook up my old VHS player!) but what I do remember is how Gwyneth's character follows two distinct paths in her life and at the end of both she comes out either weaker or stronger. It's interesting that London is picked as the setting for this story as it is a city where you could (if you wish) completely redefine yourself and live a completely different life at the flick of a switch. London is that diverse that you could try being a goth for a day, or a homeless person, or a rich git, a party animal...the list goes on and on.

Anyway, I digress! My friend of mine played a game of Tube trivia with me a while ago, and one of his questions was "what is the shortest tube line in London?" I couldn't work it out, but my best guess was the East London Line. In fact it was the Waterloo & City line, one which I had never really been aware of or in fact travelled on (its only got 2 stops, one at either end!).

So I hopped on and tried to recall Gwyneth's key scene whilst making a mental note for the next time I play 'Tube Trivia'.





70 down...930 Things to go!

No comments: