Sunday 2 December 2007

#940 - Make a call from London's first Red Phone Box


Timeout says:
Take two steps off Picadilly and swing open the doorw of telephonic history. This sheltered red kiosk is a Grade II-listed building - not just the first ever vermillion-red telephone box in the whole world, but its wooden prototype. Dial H for History!

Dave did:
Given how iconic the red telephone box is, I'm quite surprised how much of an unassuming presence this original has. Of course it isn't helped when its hidden inside the grand Royal Academy of Arts archway entrace, and behind its wrought iron gates no less!

So it was no wonder I walked straight past it initially, and it took some serious investigation to uncover it!

No one was giving it a second glance, and there was me running over as quick as you like to make sure no one beat me to making a call in this legendary time machine (oh sorry, thats the blue one isn't it?). Imagine my disgust when picking up the handset in one hand whilst digging out some loose change to call my dear mother, that the digital screen reads out "This phone has been decommissioned". Typical!



56 down...944 Things to go!

No comments: