Thursday 6 December 2007

#6 - Pop in to the Photographers' Gallery


Timeout says:
This marvellous little gallery hold exhibits of still photography, film and installations. Its compact size means it isn't as daunting as larger exhibition spaces

Dave did:
Well I think we all know now how much I love photography as a past time, and so this visit was a must for me today!

Upon entering the gallery, I loved how I was immediately confronted with a "No Photography Allowed" sign...oh the irony...if only I were allowed to take a photo of the scene (!)

The gallery itself really only consisted of a single room where there was a coffee bar and a large long table for people to sit, have a coffee, read some magazines and gaze up at the wall filled with framed photographs. Today's exhibition was all about Insomnia.

It wasn't my type of photography if I'm honest. If there's one thing I hate in photography, its taking photos of people...and this exhibition was full of it!

Fortunately I found a gallery shop on the upper floor where a wider variety of prints could be found (the cheapest on sale was around the £300 mark). But what I did find was the work of one Veronica Bailey. Her imagery was fantastic, creating what I would term abstract art out of envelopes received in the post (www.veronicabailey.co.uk)...example below:



59 down...941 Things to go!

No comments: