Saturday 1 December 2007

#889 - Visit the Animals in War Memorial



Timeout says:
One of the silliest of London's thousands of statues, plaques, and memorials, the Animals in War Memorial sits on the edge of Hyde Park and commemorates the horses, dogs, elephants, pigeons and glow worms that saved the world from destruction in two world wars. As if this wasn't surreal enough, it was partly inspired by a book by bonkbusteress Jilly Cooper.

Dave did:
Ever seen a camel in London? If not then I suggest you go and check out this memorial...which really cannot be described any better than 'surreal'!

I really don't know what to say about this without coming across as disrespectful (which I don't mean to be). But it did strike me as something that would hold more appeal to a group of 9 year old girls than any sensible adult, although obviously animal right protesters would claim differently (but then when was the last time you saw animal right protesters campaigning against the use of animals in any dangerous profession? Not me). The engraving "They Had No Choice" also brought a wry smile to my face....yes I am going to hell when I die!






53 down...947 Things to go!

No comments: