Monday 15 September 2008

#800 - Watch a dragon boat race


Timeout says:
Dragon boat racing is an unusual, sociable sport! A 20-seat boat with an ornately carved head can often be seen racing in lung-bursting 500-metre races, and occasionally longer distances such as the 22-mile Great River Race. Forget the Oxbridge boat race - real fun on the river comes in the shape of a dragon!

Dave did:
Now this 'Thing' has been on my radar for a while now. Not that long ago I had an opportunity at work to join in a Dragon boat race, but unfortunately spaces were quickly occupied and I fell onto the waiting list! I'm still waiting for my shot!


In the meantime though, I took the opportunity last weekend to check out how a Dragon boat actually works in the Great River Race on the Thames...and its actually quite scary and funny at the same time!

As I saw all these nice traditional rowing boats, and olympic style pencil thin boats...up ahead I spotted this thing with hundreds of short little legs peddling like mad up the river! It honestly looked like the 7 dwarfs and their brothers had got themselves into a fight with nature that they were desperately losing as they battled their way down the river!

Still cant wait for my chance to have a go (although I'll stick to the 500m races!)

112 down...888 Things to go!

No comments: