Monday 15 September 2008

#381 - Watch the Great River Race


Timeout says:
A bit like the Oxford v Cambridge Boat Race but more fun, this annual race sees more than 260 'traditional' boats, from Chinese dragon boats and Hawaiian war canoes to Viking Longboats compete over a 22-mile course to become the UK Traditional Boat Champions

Dave did:
Three years in London, an at least a year of it spent right next to the River Thames...and I've never once seen a boat race! Some people would say thats ridiculous, others would say its a proud achievement! For me its more of an embarrassment as it highlights how much I sleep in during the weekends more than anything else!

So when I noticed the Great River Race being advertised for last weekend I made a point of heading towards Waterloo to watch the occassion.

The official website reliably informed me that the boats would start passing the London Eye at around 4pm (thus allowing for a suitable lie-in once again!). Well 4.45 rolled by and not even a piece of driftwood passed me by!

But then at 4.50pm I finally see a speck on the horizon...and yes by 4.55pm that speck turned out to the be leaders of the pack, a pack that was very far behind!





Given the very traditional and bulky look of the boat, I was amazed at how big a gap these guys had over the opposition. It was a full 10 minutes before the next boat showed up, and trust it to be the Irish (with beer bellies in tow)!



...but then it was another 20 minutes before the rest started floating underneath my bridge!



By all accounts it looked like a dominant display by the top two in not-all-too-impressive floating contraptions compared to those behind them. Still it looked pretty tight in the midpack with some good battles between dragon boats and viking ships!

111 down...889 Things to go!

No comments: