Saturday 27 September 2008

#642 - Go deco! Hoover Building


Timeout says:
Apart from residents of Perivale, not many Londoners trek out here. But it's well worth the effort to see this piece of architecture - possibly the finest art deco structure in Britain. Built in 1932, the principal building is a low-lying, two-storey white structure with its front divided into 15 bays by massive Egyption style pillars. It also has an outstanding central doorway that is framed by a huge sun-ray design. The rear part of the building was sensitively converted into a Tesco supermarket in 1989, and the palce has been celebrated in song (Elvis Costello's 'Hoover Factory').

Dave did:
On the Oxford tube heading out of London for the weekend, I caught sight of this very impressive building at the roadside. Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent picture with my mobile phone in time so I admit I have relied upon one from Google, but I did see it! (honest!)

121 down...879 Things to go!

No comments: