Sunday 10 August 2008

#944 - Watch the London Triathlon

Timeout says:
It can seem like sadism to watch athletes putting themselves through such torture. The London Triathlon involves a swimming, bike and running race. The races are important fundraisers for charity.


Dave did:
A few months ago I arranged a primary school reunion through facebook, trying to get together some old schoolmates who grew up with me out in the middle-east and now so happen to live in and around London. To cut a long story short, only 2 people showed up...and 1 of them was 2 hours late so I never actually saw them!

However, I met up with the late-comer a few weeks later for a drink, and she announced she was taking part in the London Triathlon later in the year. At this point a small lightbulb went off in the back of my mind (1000 Things, I am ashamed to say wasn't at the forefront of my mind back then), but I couldn't recall why at the time.

Then this weekend I was reading through my 1000 Things bible and realised I was meant to watch it. I quickly went online to check out the dates only to realise that it was this weekend! My old schoolfriend hadn't even reminded me she was doing it!

Unfortunately I didn't get out in time to see her perform the swimming leg for her team, and I had to resort to checking out the Olympic-standard triathletes the following day.

Got down to Embankment where my research reliably informed me that the cycling leg would pass through. Was there any cyclists rushing past? Not one! The barriers were setup, the police presence was felt, but nothing else was really happening.

I looked left...



...two tourists walking straight over the cyclists path.


I looked right...



...oh hang on...



...finally a cyclist!



So there you go...I saw the London Triathlon!


105 down..895 Things to go!

No comments: