Monday 18 August 2008

#34 - Nose around the Inns of Court


Timeout says:
The Inns of Court - four self-contained precincts where barristers traditionally train and practice - are an oasis of calm in the middle of the city. The Inns - Lincoln's Inn, Gray's Inn, Inner Temple, Middle Temple - meander in a broad zig-zag from Holborn down through Chancery Lane to Blackgriars and Embankment. They trace their history back to the 14th century, when the old manor house belonging to Sir Reginald de Grey, Chief Justice of Chester, was converted into a 'hostelry' for law students fleeing the disarray of King Edward's court (hence Inns).

Dave did:
Have you ever had one of those days where you go off in search of some site around town...you have your printed map and know exactly where your going. And an hour later you realise you didn't know exactly where you were going at all!

Well that was the story of my evening in London tonight! I've suddenly had the wind in my sales of late, and keen to crack on with my 1000 Things I noticed that the Inns of Court gardens were not that far away from my office...unfortunately I decided to take a circular route, reaching my target in ever decreasing circles! A 10 minute walk from my office turned into a 1 hour hike!

Got there in the end though! I did some research on wikipedia beforehand and apparently the Lincoln Inn Fields inspired the creation of Central Park in New York. I'll be honest and say I've never been to Central Park, but if its anything like this one then I think I'll give it a miss...nothing that special if you ask me!



106 down...894 Things to go!

No comments: