Monday 18 August 2008

#849 - Take a peek at Strand Lane's 'Roman Bath'


Timeout says:
Neither Roman nor really a bath, this splendid little curio at 5 Strand Lane can be glimpsed through a murky barred window down a cruddy side alley off Surrey Street. The red-brick plunge pool is first mentioned in records towards the end of the 18th century and Dickens wrote about it in David Copperfield, but archaeologists have found no evidence to confirm it has Roman origins.

Dave did:
Today wasn't my lucky day. An hour long walk to get to the Inns fields, and on my way home I decided to seek out this little gem.

The dark alley was gated and locked, and the sign informed me that it was around the corner at the end of the alley...



so my best shot of it was this:



First impressions count, and I don't think I'd consider a swim down there!

107 down...893 Things to go!

No comments: